The IRB is at the cutting edge of international thoroughbred racing, providing invaluable services to racing organisations, racecourses, trainers, owners, breeders, media outlets and sponsors.
Services include international racecourse and race promotion to owners and trainers; handling international entries on behalf of trainers; PR and marketing services to racecourses, racing organisations and sponsors; editorial services to UK and international publications; and international assistance to major racehorse owners.
A few of our achievements
The IRB has been pivotal in the expansion of international and intercontinental racing. Amongst its many achievements have been:
- blueprinting and inauguration of the Arlington Million in 1981
- planning of the first Japan Cup in 1981
- planning and launch of the Breeders' Cup in 1984
- initiation, development and launching of the UK’s racing newspaper, the Racing Post, in 1986
- planning and executing the launch of the world's richest race, the Dubai World Cup, in 1996
- instigating international racing in Australia, Hong Kong, Dubai, Singapore, Turkey and Brazil
In the 1970's less than half a dozen thoroughbreds each year would cross continental boundaries. Today well over four hundred horses each year travel between continents for the world's top racing events and the number keeps growing, an illustration of the impact that the IRB has had on the sport.
The IRB today
Since August 2012 the International Racing Bureau has been solely owned by its current board and continues as an independent company.
It launched a new PR and Sponsorship division in January 2013 to add to its Trainers’ and Owners’ Services, Racecourse Services and Media Services departments.
Amongst its major clients are:
Arlington Park, Ascot, Breeders' Cup, British Champions Series Limited, Darley, Epsom, Hong Kong Jockey Club, Japan Racing Association, Newmarket Racecourses, Racing Victoria, Shadwell, Singapore Turf Club, Turkish Jockey Club, Woodbine and York, as well as many of Europe’s leading racehorse trainers.